OCEAN MEDALLION™ / REGAL PRINCESS and caribbean princess
MedallionClass Vacations deliver personalized and immersive guest experiences thanks to an innovative experience platform. In 2018, Caribbean Princess became the second Princess Cruises ship to provide guests with a MedallionClass ship experience. These are some of the features of the MedallionClass:
- Keyless Stateroom Access: Stateroom entry is a seamless experience where each guest is securely validated and the door automatically unlocks, with personalized greetings and loyalty level recognition on the welcome portal.
- OceanNow: Using smart devices, guests have the ability to place a food or drink order and have it delivered directly to them in locations throughout the ship.
- MedallionPay: An easy and hassle-free payment experience enabling crew members to focus on guest service interactions.
- OceanCasino: On smart devices and select portals, guests can wager real money on a portfolio of games, including slots, poker, bingo, roulette, keno and lottery from anywhere onboard.
- OceanCompass: Leverages the OceanMedallion to enable point-to-point wayfinding throughout the ship. OceanCompass guides guests throughout their journey, providing directional information so they can seamlessly navigate to their next point of interest.
- JourneyView: On portals throughout the ship, guests can access a real-time look at their itinerary, along with events and activities taking place during their cruise.
- OceanView: Guests can stream more than 100 hours of award-winning Ocean Original travel content – which airs nationally on weekends on ABC and NBC – to their smart device anywhere on the ship at no cost.
- PlayOcean: On portals located shipwide, guests are able to play family games, including trivia, word jumble, a matching game and Ocean Treks Adventure – an interactive, shipwide digital scavenger hunt.
- AIDA Cruises, Carnival Corporation’s German-based line, chose a family to be the naming ambassadors of their new ship AIDAnova and is the first ship in the Carnival Corporation fleet able to run entirely on liquefied natural gas.
- Holland America Line announced that Oprah Winfrey would be the Godmother of their new ship, Nieuw Statendam, christening the ship in Fort Lauderdale in January 2019.
- Carnival Cruise Line’s new ship Carnival Horizon was christened by singer-actress Queen Latifah in New York City.
- Costa Cruises celebrated its birthday with the citizens of Genoa, Italy where it was born 70 years ago. People from the community attended the Costa Zena Festival, an all-day event in the city center which included free entertainment and activities such as the world’s longest inflatable waterslide.
Promoting Economic Sustainability
Costa Cruises has established a partnership with the association “I Borghi piu belli d’Italia” (Italy’s finest historic small towns) with the objective of favoring ecotourism and supporting the local economy in Italy’s so-called borghi, or historic small towns – rethinking tourism according to the guiding principles of sustainability, innovation and accessibility. The initiative, called “Historic villages, a heritage to be discovered and fostered” takes cruise guests to these unique places with local guides who help them enjoy an authentic experience featuring the history, traditions and artistic heritage of each small town. Ten of these heritage-listed towns have been added to Costa Cruises’ program of shore tours.
Many of the Carnival Corporation brands now feature phone-based apps for their onboard guests which are quickly replacing the need for paper-based daily newsletters. The apps feature daily activities, enable booking of specialty dining, shore excursions, and spa appointments. The apps also can have onboard chat room that enable communication between onboard guests. Internet connectivity at close to land-like speed is now available on many of the ships in the Carnival Corporation fleet.
More In-Depth Exploration
- Holland America Lines Exploration’s Central (EXC) is an immersive program designed to make the guest experience in the local destinations more engaging, vivid and meaningful. Specially-trained EXC Guides on each ship give insightful talks on local customs and insider tips that ensure each guest gets the most from each destination. Local artists and musicians are also brought onboard for EXC Encounters. Off the ship, more than 400 ports feature EXC tours, special in-depth experiences focusing on culture, places and people in ways that are comfortable, authentic and transformative.
- The new “Adagio Tours”, available for Mediterranean cruises on the flagship Costa Diadema allow guests with impaired mobility to take part in group shore excursions. The programs have been planned with the help of 15 women with multiple sclerosis, thanks to the initiative WAT! – Women Accessibility Tourism, promoted by the Costa Crociere Foundation and AISM (Italian Association of Multiple Sclerosis).
Cruise at Sea and Bike on Land
AIDA Cruises offers guests their choice of bicycles for on shore biking excursions in destinations around the world. From touring bikes to more active mountain bikes, and even bikes with electric assist are stored onboard and personally fitted to guests for use on land. For more serious biking enthusiasts, the AIDA Bike Camp arranges longer tours, racing events and transportation for personal bicycles.
Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 features an onboard planetarium called Illuminations. Shows are free of charge and offered numerous times throughout each cruise. Complementing the planetarium is a series of enrichment programs run by the Royal Astronomical Society with speakers and on deck star-gazing when weather permits.
Seabourn is partnering with UNESCO World Heritage to offer exclusive and enhanced shore excursions at World Heritage sites. A small donation to UNESCO’s World Heritage Fund will be added to the prices of these optional tours.
Seabourn quest’s exploration
Seabourn has embarked on a new partnership with Swarovski Optik®, making the high-quality optical instruments the official optical equipment for Seabourn’s Antarctica and Patagonia cruises. Under the partnership, Swarovski Optik® will outfit Seabourn Quest’s Expedition Team and bridge staff with their high-precision, long-range binoculars for spotting diverse wildlife and viewing the remarkable landscapes from onboard the ship and during landings ashore.
OPRAH MAGAZINE PARTNERSHIP
Holland America Line and O, The Oprah Magazine, have partnered on a series of cruises and activities. In 2018 Oprah Winfrey participated in her first cruise to Alaska onboard ms Eurodam. Many of the Holland America ships are featuring O-inspired programming such as meditation programs, O’s Reading Room, and select retail items from “Oprah’s Favorite Things” in the onboard stores. To learn more visit www.hollandamerica.com.
travel to cuba
The opening of Cuba plays an important role in giving travelers another popular option for enjoying a vacation in the Caribbean, the world’s most popular region for cruise vacations. 2018 saw two Carnival Corporation brands, Carnival Cruise Line and Holland America, with regular sailings to Cuba on their itineraries from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale respectively. The Holland America experiences are enhanced through the line’s Exploration Central (EXC) program, featuring EXC Guides who bring the destination to life through presentations and EXC Talks that enable guests to deepen their understanding of the Caribbean’s largest island. Carnival Cruise Line will be adding Cuba to some of their cruise itineraries out of Charleston and Miami in 2019 and has announced more than 60 sailings from the U.S. to Cuba in 2019 and 2020.
Seabourn, Carnival Corporation’s ultra-luxury brand, has received approval to include Cuba in their 2019 itineraries.
This year, we had the privilege of taking 12.4 million guests on vacation across our 104 ships. Cruising appeals to a broad range of ages and income levels. Cruising provides something for every generation, from kid clubs to an array of onboard entertainment provided for teens and adults. Cruising also offers transportation to a variety of destinations and a diverse range of ship types and sizes, as well as price points, to attract guests with varying tastes and from most income levels.
No matter what type of cruise our guests choose, providing excellent service and guest satisfaction is at the heart of our guest service strategy. Guest feedback also provides insight into how we approach our relationships with this key stakeholder group. We consider their feedback to be of vital importance.
Whether they are first-time cruisers or long-time cruise enthusiasts within our brands, we invite them to return and inspire them to recommend our brands, thereby sustaining our business. Our brands also have multiple pricing levels that vary by cruise brand, category of cabin, ship, season, duration and itinerary. We continue to upgrade and enhance the vacation experiences we offer with new features as part of our effort to attract first-time cruisers and keep our product exciting for repeat guests.
We are proud to offer a wide array of gaming opportunities for the enjoyment of our guests. We also support a Responsible Gaming program designed to assist our guests in making responsible choices through knowledge and empowerment. Our approach to Responsible Gaming forms an integral part of this commitment. Responsible Gaming occurs in an environment where management and staff have been suitably educated to assist guests so that the potential for harm associated with gambling is kept to a minimum and our guests are able to make informed decisions. Responsible Gaming information is posted in all our onboard casinos and guests can choose to self-exclude from participating in casino gaming activities by registering with the Casino management.
Although the vast majority of our guests are highly satisfied with their vacation experience, there are occasional complaints. Resolving issues in an expedient manner during the cruise, rather than having guests wait until they return home to make contact, enables guests to more fully enjoy their vacations. This approach also provides us with a valuable on-the-spot learning tool that supports improvement of policies, procedures and the overall cruise product. Guests also have different means available to convey their opinions and their level of satisfaction to the company. A common tool is a survey provided to guests after their cruise, through which guests may express their opinions about the various aspects of the service and assign a performance score to each aspect.
Taking care of our guests during a crisis is also part of our duty. We have a dedicated group of CareTeam members who are trained to respond to a variety of emergencies, primarily medical-related situations, and are dispatched to locations throughout our cruising regions to provide personalized support and assistance as needed to all of our brands. The CareTeam members are committed to assist our guests, as well as their families, friends and loved ones and provide them with compassionate assistance and support during challenging situations.
To further care for guests, we support the passenger Bill of Rights, which details our commitment to the safety, comfort and care of our guests. It specifically addresses delays, cancellations and other unplanned events. The Passenger Bill of Rights codifies many long-standing practices of our organization and Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) member lines and it also goes beyond some practices to further inform cruise guests of our commitment to their comfort and care.
Protecting our guests’ privacy is also extremely important to our guests and business. We have dedicated privacy teams that oversee our data privacy programs. We have also implemented privacy standards, which require the conduct of reviews of the adequacy of the privacy program.