2020 Goal & Update

Water Efficiency

Continue to improve water use efficiency of our shipboard operations by 5% by 2020 relative to our 2010 baseline, as measured by liters per person per day.

water efficiency icon

We decreased our impact on ports visited by producing 4% more water from sea water relative to our baseline, equaling 77% of our total water usage while water use efficiency rate remained constant.

FY2016 Water Management Performance

Icon water bunkered

water bunkered

We purchase approximately 23% of our water from the ports or the water suppliers in the ports we visit.

Icon water produced

water produced

We produce approximately 77% of the water we use on board our ships from sea water.

Icon water efficiency

water efficiency

  • We continue to implement measures to improve our water use efficiency and decrease our impacts.
  • Our water use rate is 61 gallons per person per day vs the U.S. National average of 90 gallons per person per day.
Icon port health

Port-Water Quality Lab

Opened Amber Cove’s in-house water quality lab, thereby achieving our goal of implementing water quality lab’s in all of the ports we own and operate (i.e. Puerta Maya, Cozumel, Mexico; Grand Turk Cruise Center, Turks & Caicos Islands; Amber Cove Cruise Center, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and Mahogany Bay Cruise Center, Roatán, Honduras).

Our Commitment

The oceans are our main water source. We produce approximately 77% of the water we use on board our ships from sea water and the remaining 23% is purchased from the ports or the water suppliers in the ports we visit. Before our ships visit a port, we determine whether potable water is available and abundant. In ports or regions experiencing water scarcity or restrictions, our water sourcing patterns are modified in order to only bunker water from ports where water is abundant, of high quality and cost effective to purchase. Due to our ships’ holding capacities and equipment, we adapt our water sourcing patterns in order to avoid impacting local water supplies in times of water shortages. Consequently, our ship operations pose minimal water sourcing impacts to the port communities where we purchase water.

Our Strategy

Improving water use efficiency is essential for us to remain economically sustainable, as it is more cost effective to use less water than to continuously purchase or desalinate and treat water. Over time, we have increased the percentage of water we produce on board relative to the total water bunkered, which helps us to reduce the risk associated with disruption of water supplies in the ports of call where we bunker water.

We encourage our guests to assist us in our water use efficiency efforts by making them aware of options available on board to conserve water such as reusing towels and sheets. Our crew is trained on water efficiency practices as part of our environmental training program.

We are continuously replacing systems that are highly dependent on water with more efficient water management options. Examples include efficient laundry machines and dishwashers among others. In addition, to improve our water use efficiency, we have installed sink aerators and low-flow shower heads in cabins and public areas. Our water procurement at the ports we visit is determined based on water quality, availability, reliable and abundant supply and cost. If there is a water scarcity risk issue, such as droughts, we will change our water procurement so as to not purchase water at the expense of the local community and environment.

Water quality is an essential component of our water management plan. Water quality is managed and monitored onboard the ships based on the U.S. Center of Disease Control Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) guidelines. For the ports we own and operate (i.e. Puerta Maya Cozumel, Mexico; Grand Turk Cruise Center, Turks & Caicos Islands; Amber Cove Cruise Center, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and Mahogany Bay Cruise Center Roatán, Honduras) water quality is managed and monitored in accordance with local health requirements and port specific procedures developed based on VSP and the World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines. In addition, Water treatment systems have been installed in all ports as well as onsite water quality laboratories.

In addition, water related risks and opportunities are identified by management using a holistic risk framework and a risk management capability model aligned with the organization’s strategy and management priorities. This framework is part of our Enterprise Risk Management program. Water risks are incorporated in to our risk universe and are regularly evaluated.

We continually monitor new regulations that are being proposed and engage with regulators and interested stakeholders either directly or through industry trade organizations like Cruise Line International Association (CLIA) to address their concerns and to discuss feasible solutions whenever such regulatory issues arise.